Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Thai Green Curry


This dish is one of my favourite ever teas. I'm a big fan of Thai and this Green Curry is as easy and healthy as it is delicious. 

I've cooked this many times for myself, university friends and my family and tweaked and improved the recipe over time as I've gone along. I'm very happy with the result, which is packed with all sorts of healthy elements such as fresh ginger, garlic, lemongrass and lime. 


(Serves 4, takes 40 minutes).

Ingredients

4 heaped tsp Thai Green Curry paste
1cm lemongrass, finely chopped (I cheat and use a squeeze of Very Lazy Lemongrass paste)
1tsp brown sugar
400ml coconut milk
Glug of fish sauce
450g skinless and boneless chicken thighs
150ml fish stock
2cm piece of ginger
3 garlic cloves
1 lime
150g mangetout 

Method

1. In a large pan, add the curry paste, lemongrass and sugar and sizzle for 2-3 mins until the flavours begin to be released.

2. Pour in the coconut milk, fish sauce and stir. Then add the diced chicken thighs and fish stock, and simmer for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the liquid has thickened slightly. 
(*For the fish stock I use a Knorr fish stock cube and boiling water. Does the job nicely!)

3. While the chicken is bubbling, peel and finely chop the garlic and ginger and add to the pot. Zest and juice the lime and add, and give the mixture a stir. 

4. Finally, about 3-4 minutes before the end throw in the mangetout and simmer. Ladle in to big bowls, add some fluffy rice and serve!



For a twist I think prawns would work well with this recipe, or if you want to go veggie the chicken can be substituted for new potatoes, baby sweetcorn, butternut squash, or a combination! 

I also served naan bread alongside this dish, which I put in the oven for 5 minutes before serving. Not exactly Thai I don't think, but they were lovely to soak up the sauce with.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment