Sunday, 5 October 2014

Sherwood Forest

Last week my lovely boyfriend came up to Lincolnshire to pay me a visit, and we squeezed a lot in to 5 days! It was our 10 month 'anniversary' on Wednesday so to celebrate I wanted to take him somewhere he'd never been before and wracked my brain and asked my family for suggestions. My Mum suggested we take a trip to Nottinghamshire to visit the Major Oak. 


We both love the Disney version of Robin Hood (we're both equally as weird and special) so a trip to Sherwood Forest sounded like the perfect option to me!


We had a very lazy morning after a lovely evening at Meadowhall the night before and then chilling with DVD's and Breaking Bad. The Major Oak is located near to Mansfield in Nottinghamshire and takes just under an hour to drive from my parents' house, so it was the perfect little day adventure for us. The Sherwood Forest park is free to get in to and the Major Oak is about a 15 minute walk away from the visitor centre and entrance. There are also other longer walks you can go on if you're feeling energetic.



We had leftover Millie's Cookies which we got from Meadowhall so we took them along to munch on and have a mini picnic. We had a few certain other 'people' interested in our cookies!


A cheeky male Chaffinch. Luckily we had brought plenty of bread for any friends we made along the way, and left lots of bread on bird tables and gate posts on the walk. 

I wrapped up warm in my most favourite Joules jacket. I remember being in this exact spot precisely 6 years ago when I was starting out on my Duke of Edinburgh's Award, eating my picnic with my team and with no idea how testing the 2 night expedition would be, or how gross my pasta for tea would be (I'm still having boil-in-the-bag nightmares... Never again). It was nice sitting and having a little think about how much has changed since back then!



You used to be able to go inside the Major Oak but now to preserve the tree and its roots you just have to admire it from afar. We wondered how old the tree must be and we guessed around about 700 years old! It's pretty cool imagining Henry VIII bobbing around while the tree was there.

This is definitely worth a visit if you're after something lovely to do with your boyfriend/girlfriend or friends and you like wildlife and a bit of a walk now and then.  
It's open from 9 until 5pm in the summer but in the winter there are shorter opening hours. 

A lovely and very peaceful day out with my favourite boy.



2 comments:

  1. I'm from the East Midlands originally so I've been to Sherwood Forest countless times, I always feel a little sad when I see the poor Major Oak all propped up like it is. There's so many good places and country parks around the area though - Sherwood Pines, Newstead (well worth a visit if you haven't), Clumber, Rufford.

    Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions Lisa :D I've been to Clumber Park many many times since I was a very little girl, and I've been to Rufford too, both lovely. Never been to Newstead though as far as I know so I have to pay a visit soon xo

      Delete